Mom’s First Day of School Cookies!
Every first day of school, since my first first day, Mom has always made cookies. Even when I went off to college I made myself (and roomies) cookies for the first day.
Well Mom has been on a baking kick trying to usher in fall. Today she baked “First Day” cookies and they sounded so good! So despite it not being a first day of school, I was ready to attempt our ‘actual ingredient as in not from a mix‘ cookies!
Somewhere along the way just make cookies became “THE First Day Cookie”, and this recipe the only acceptable one.
The First Day Cookie:
- 3/4 cup Crsico Butter Flavor Shortening
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbs milk
- 1tbs vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- and anything else you’d like to add!
- I added white chocolate chips, crushed pecans, coconut, Reese’s Pieces, and a few raisins (eyeballed the amounts varying from a 1/4 cup to a full cup depending on how much I liked the ingredient= less raisins more Reece’s 😉 )
Pre-Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine shortening, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Beat in egg. Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into shortening mixture until just blended. Stir in chips and everything else! Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8-10minutes.
And the verdict is…
My culinary crusades are somewhat infrequent. So boy do I LOVE it when they turn out! And with the Reese’s Pieces they even look fall festive!